March 25, 2010

How Deep the Father's Love - Part 1

Last Sunday, my friend Kelly and I and her two sons had one of our somewhat frequent "pancake parties." It's really nothing more than them coming to my house after church for homemade pancakes, but every occasion is more fun by adding the word "party" after it. And as has become our tradition, I always add chocolate chips to the pancakes, and the boys know to expect colorful straws for drinking their juice.

This past weekend, as I was buying supplies for the big feed, I got as far as the juice section and remembered that the boys each had a different favorite juice. With a guest list of just the four of us, our party certainly didn't need two bottles of juice. But so as not to disappoint either, I grabbed both orange juice and apple juice before leaving the store.

Later, when I mentioned the two kinds of juice, Kelly insisted that it was unnecessary to buy each boy's favorite. "They would still love you even if you didn't have their favorite," she said.

I started to feel guilty for trying to buy their love with bottles of squeezed fruit, but in that moment I realized that it wasn't their love that motivated the juice buying. It was mine. I knew they would still love me either way, but MY love for them compelled me to do the little extra.

Of course, buying juice has never been a sign of unfailing love in any culture, but it did strike  me that this is a glimmer of God's love for me. He's not trying to win my affection or trick me into a relationship when he blesses me; he is motivated out of his own great love. And his demonstrations are extravagant.

As the days of Lent come quickly to an end, we will soon enter a season of reflecting on this deep love of God, the kind of Love that empties himself and humbles himself and sacrifices himself for others.

It's more than a two-bottles-of-juice kind of love. 

It's more like a two-hundred-bottles-of-juice kind of love. With more where that came from.

4 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Oh, I like this Charity.

Jenn4him said...

Amen. Certainly, more juice than we would know what to do with!
Jenn

Amber DeYoung said...

You are so insightful and this is so true. Whenever I see your blog with a new post in my blog reader I get excited.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom (no presssure ;)

In HIS Grip,
Amber

Deidra said...

I love what you've said here. Great insight.

And...I'm going to call my event this weekend a weed pulling party! It sounds so much better that way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails