March 2, 2010

Quiet Enough to Hear

For the past couple of weeks, my car has been making a funny noise. Sometimes it sounds like a man nervously rolling coins in his pocket. Other times, more like a squeaking door. And it usually only happens when I turn a corner or go over a bump.

Eventually, I'll need to have someone look at it, but for now, I'm just taking note. The problem is, I don't know how long the noise has been there. My car may have been making the noise since I bought it. The only reason I am noticing it now is that for the first time I am driving it around in silence.

Though my multitasking fast has not been as "pure" as I had hoped when I first began, I actually am driving, eating, and working in quiet most of the time. And now that I am a couple of weeks into the fast, the noises in my head are finally quieting too.

Now I can hear from Jesus.

Just like the noises from my car, Jesus has probably been speaking to me about issues in my life for years now. I just don't often live quietly enough to hear Him. Also, I find that I pray more fervently for others these days because when the Spirit whispers a name to me, I hear it, and I start interceding.

And joyfully, I have found that Jesus also is stirring up gratitude in my heart during this quiet season. When I have the space to think about what I am eating, the money I have to pay my bills, the opportunities I am given with family and friends, I am deeply grateful. Without the silence to consider these blessings, however, I often take them for granted.

Though at times I resist this season of quiet in my life, I am growing increasingly accustomed to these new sounds I am hearing. Sounds that are refreshing not draining. Sounds that help me fix the things that are broken.

Even if it means a repair bill for my car.

4 comments:

Jennifer @ Getting Down With Jesus said...

In our busy, bustling, whirring, ringing world, it is rarely quiet enough to hear. So glad you've found the quiet place within. I just returned from a three-day retreat and was so blessed by the peace and stillness.

Jenn4him said...

Better not let it go on too long. My dear husband just learned that lesson to the tune of $800. Looking forward to seeing you tonight. I have been praying for you and your family. Thank you for your prayers. The move is done and we are enjoying life here at the new home very much. Praise the Lord.
Jenn

Amber DeYoung said...

Your obervations are so inspireing thank you so much for sharing them with us. I can't wait to see what you have to say next.

Deidra said...

We need quiet to hear that still, small voice...

Related Posts with Thumbnails