December 2, 2010

Week 1, Day 5: No Do-Overs


If Jesus decides to hand out "do-overs" at some point in the future, I'm going to pick today. This whole day would benefit greatly from a do-over.

I know that a small part of my bad day was a lack of sleep. A whirl wind business trip to Atlanta, Georgia, and back yesterday left me nauseated and tired, and I really didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked. And there were the problems at work that happened yesterday because I wasn't there for our busiest day of the month. Plus, I am off the next two days to visit family.

Then there's the fact that I don't love people like I should.

Several times today I had the opportunity to yield to the Spirit; instead, I took the low road, complaining, insisting on my own way, being easily offended. This evening, as I prayed over all that happened and have asked the Lord what I could have done differently, He keeps leading me back to the fact that I didn't love the people I work with as much as I love myself.

Learning to love each other is not just a Christian pursuit; it's an Advent goal. In his first letter to the Thessalonians, Paul tells his friends there that he is praying that their love will increase for one another so that they might be established in holiness when Jesus comes again.

Jesus leaves us waiting so that one day he will return to find us loving.

So in this day when I have failed to love others as I should, Jesus doesn't give me a "do-over," the opportunity to go back and fix it. Instead, He points me forward, awakens me to new grace, and asks me to try again to love like he's coming back today.

"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. 13 May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones." 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13

::

Today's Bible Reading

::

More Advent links . . .

Ted Gossard's God's Belief in Humanity

Ann Kroeker's Notes from the Father

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails