December 20, 2010

Week 4, Day 2: Great Expectations


On Saturday, I had a to-do list a mile long. I was going to finish the wrapping, finally get those Christmas cards in the mail, shop for some groceries, bake some gifts, write my daily Advent post, pay the bills, run errands, and spend the evening with a friend looking at Christmas lights.

All on Saturday.

I know, right? I would have had to have been Wonder Woman with her invisible jet AND Martha Stewart with her invisible finesse to get it all done. But still, I was disappointed with myself again and again throughout the day as I realized I would only accomplish a fraction of what I set out to do.

I want to be better than I am.

And it's not just about what I can accomplish. I want to be a better person, someone who cares more about others, who takes criticism well, who doesn't say mean-spirited things. When people meet me, I want them to see Jesus in me. Really.

Maybe it's because of the holiday season, when I want everything to be perfect, that I realize how far I am from perfect. But during this season of Advent, when we are longing for everything to be set right when Jesus comes, perhaps it's not too far off the mark to anticipate the day when I'll be set right, too.

When Jesus comes, there will be no more stress and strain, no more tears (noun) or tears (verb), no more wishing and not having, no more falling short.

Advent is not about me. But oh, how I look forward to Jesus' return when I will be free from the me that wishes it were.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
Photo by me . . . an accidental self-portrait. That's my reflection in the ball.

::

::

More Advent Links . . .



Lisa-Jo's part 4 of Pregnant with Christmas series: The Choosing

Deidra's Unto Us

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

A verse I need to take to heart in the coming year.

Ann Kroeker said...

Oh, dear...I kept you occupied for SO LONG on Saturday, keeping you from accomplishing your long to-do list! I'm sorry! But if it helps you look back on that day, you should know that I certainly cherished my time with you, Charity!

As you could tell from our conversation that afternoon, from the questions I asked, I, too, long to be better than I am and hate when my words come out all wrong and bad and end up hurting someone I care about.

This phrasing stood out in particular: "no more tears (noun) or tears (verb), no more wishing and not having, no more falling short."

I've shed so many tears, and tried to mend so many tears.

Jesus is coming soon, isn't He?

Janis@Open My Ears Lord said...

I can relate to your great expectations list. My expectations are shortening as Christmas nears and I realize I can't get it all done!

Wishing you all the blessings of the Savior's coming,
Janis

Lyla Lindquist said...

I want to be better than I am.

I don't even know what that looks like, Charity. But I chase it hard. Just...something better than I see now.

Thoughtful post here.

Merry Christmas to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails